Congress passed a bill on Tuesday that will allow the chief of the U.S. Capitol Police to “unilaterally” request assistance from the D.C. National Guard, after it took hours for officials to deploy troops to the Capitol during the Jan. 6 insurrection.
The bill, introduced by Sen. Amy Klobuchar (D-Minn.) and Roy Blunt (R-Mo.), passed with bipartisan support in both the House and Senate, and will now move to President Joe Biden’s desk for a signature.
Under current law, the Capitol Police Board—an oversight board consisting of the Congressional Sergeants at Arms and the Architect of the Capitol—must approve the chief’s request for National Guard assistance. The new bill removes the bureaucratic process by allowing the chief to request D.C. National Guard troops or other federal law enforcement agencies without prior approval from the board.
“January 6th showed us that every minute counts during an emergency,” Klobuchar said in a written statement. “Our report found that Capitol Police officers and their law enforcement partners were left alone to defend the Capitol and our democracy itself from violent insurrectionists, while the Chief of the Capitol Police was delayed in obtaining approval to request help from the National Guard.”
In June, Senate lawmakers released a report probing the security failures on Jan. 6 — including the “opaque Capitol Police board processes” that slowed the National Guard request and deployment, among other issues. Earlier this week, William Walker, who served as the top commander for D.C.’s National Guard at the time of the attack, met with the House panel that’s investigating the attack. In March, he testified before a Senate committee, telling lawmakers that then-president Donald Trump’s defense department stymied his calls for National Guard backup.
“I have long been concerned that the structure of the Capitol Police Board creates unnecessary delays when swift, decisive action is needed,” Blunt said in a statement Tuesday. “This bipartisan bill addresses a major security challenge that was evident on January 6th, and is part of our ongoing effort to strengthen Capitol security moving forward.”
The bipartisan legislation comes a week after Congress killed a bill that would’ve given the mayor of D.C. the power to call on the National Guard. Originally passed by the House in September, the provision died during House and Senate negotiations for the National Defense Authorization Act. (Unlike in all other states, where the governor controls the state’s National Guard, the president has authority over D.C.’s National Guard.)
The bipartisan agreement Tuesday is one in a series of recent Congressional — and prosecutorial — moves related to the Jan. 6 attack. Also on Tuesday, the House voted to hold former White House chief of staff Mark Meadows in criminal contempt of Congress for defying a subpoena issued by the committee investigating the insurrection. Earlier that afternoon, outside of the Capitol, D.C. Attorney General Karl Racine announced his lawsuit against the Proud Boys and Oath Keepers — two right-wing extremist groups with white nationalist ties and histories of violence — for their involvement in the Jan. 6 insurrection. The suit is seeking damages from both groups and more than 30 individuals accused of having active roles in the attack.
Colleen Grablick