Prince George’s County is the latest D.C.-area jurisdiction to lose its top health official, after two-plus years of coronavirus restrictions, new variants, and spiking case rates.
Dr. Ernest Carter announced he is resigning as the Prince George’s County health officer. He started in the role just months before the start of the pandemic, in December 2019, and led the response to the spread of the virus in one of the hardest-hit jurisdictions in the region.
“We have faced significant challenges over the years, but we have come together to ensure the safety and health of our residents,” Carter wrote in a statement. “I am grateful to have led our County Health Department through some of our most challenging times.”
Carter, a Harvard-educated physician, joined the county health department in 2012 as deputy health officer, and served as acting health officer from December 2018 through December 2019, when he was permanently appointed to the position. He will remain in the post until Nov. 22.
County Executive Angela Alsobrooks praised Carter in a statement. “Dr. Carter has led us with compassion, care, and concern for the health and well-being of Prince Georgians, and we thank him for his commitment and dedication to our County.”
Carter’s departure is part of a wave of resignations of health officials across the U.S. — many are burnt out, and some have received angry, hateful messages. DC Health Director LaQuandra Nesbitt announced last month she would be leaving her post to pursue “endeavors” outside of government, after being the public face of the District’s COVID response since the earliest days. In Montgomery County, health officer Travis Gayles stepped down last August. County Executive Marc Elrich said at the time that Gayles had “gone through hell,” having been targeted by hateful email and social media messages.
For much of the pandemic, Prince George’s County had the highest number of cases in Maryland — even more than its more populous neighbor, Montgomery County. Prince George’s was known for a cautious approach to reopening, keeping mask mandates in place longer than some other jurisdictions, and keeping students in virtual learning after other areas had gone fully in-person.
“We are a little bit more conservative. We’re very mindful of our population and its characteristics,” Carter told DCist earlier this year. “Our residents are mindful too. They are very aware of the situation that we were in … and how we got out of it.”
The selection process for the next health officer may take some time. County Executive Alsobrooks will first form a committee, which will recommend a candidate. That candidate must then be approved by the county council, which will submit the nominee to the Maryland Department of Health, which makes the final appointment.