The Youngkin administration’s draft model policies would prohibit students from participating in gender-separated activities or using school facilities in accordance with their lived gender identity.

Tyrone Turner / WAMU/DCist

New Virginia public school guidelines that would limit the rights of transgender students have been delayed for at least another 30 days while the state reviews public comments about the proposal.

Gov. Glenn Youngkin’s administration proposed the controversial policy change in September, leading to protests and more than 71,000 written comments during a 30-day public comment period that ended Wednesday.

The model policies would require transgender and nonbinary students to use pronouns, names, and bathrooms corresponding to their sex assigned at birth, unless a parent can provide a legal document “substantiating the student or former student’s change of legal name or sex.” It would also require schools to report to parents before students receive any counseling services about gender identity and mandate that students participate in sports and other activities according to the gender reflected in their school record.

It’s not yet clear how the state will enforce the rules, which are meant to guide local school districts in shaping their own policies. Some parents and school boards have welcomed the guidance, according to the Washington Post. But a number of Northern Virginia school districts — including Arlington, Alexandria, and Fairfax — have said they have no plans of changing their existing policies that protect transgender and non-binary students’ rights.

Youngkin has said the policies will give rights back to parents, a talking point he and other Republicans have leaned on since the campaign trail last year. But activist groups and legislators argue that the proposals violate state and federal non-discrimination laws and that they pose serious danger to young people.

“This new policy can put students in danger at home and in school settings,” said a student who helped lead a walk-out at Annandale High School in Fairfax County last month. “If they’re outed to their parents, their community, they can be put in danger, be kicked out, they might have suicidal ideation. And, all in all, this policy will harm everyone.”

To take effect, the policy still needs to be finalized by state Superintendent Jillian Balow, according to the Richmond Times-Dispatch. That was set to happen Thursday, but a notice posted on the state-run public comment portal now shows that that effective date has been pushed back until at least Nov. 26 while the Youngkin administration continues reviewing the public comments.