Search
DCist Logo

aaron alexis

All Stories

Aug 27, 2014

Officers Who Killed Navy Yard Shooter Showed ‘Exceptional Valor,’ Won’t Face Charges

“After a careful review of the evidence, we have closed this investigation.”

Mar 18, 2014

Report: Navy Yard Shooting May Have Been Preventable

A new report from the Department of Defense released today reveals that all of Navy Yard shooter Aaron Alexis’s turbulent past wasn’t reported, and could have prevented his clearance.

Dec 30, 2013

Lanier On D.C.’s Homicide Rate: ‘We Still Have A Lot Of Work To Do’

D.C. is on track to close out the year with 105 homicides, including the mass shooting at the Navy Yard.

Nov 08, 2013

Navy Yard Shooting Victim’s Family Will Sue Government

Mary D. Knight’s family is seeking $37.5 million.

Sep 26, 2013

FBI Explains Why They Released Photos of Aaron Alexis at the Navy Yard

“The video, while understandably very raw for many people, we wanted to show that he’s a single shooter,” the FBI told DCist. “That was a concern to the public and in the media the last week or so. We wanted to definitely show that he was by himself. There was nobody else assisting him.”

Sep 25, 2013

FBI Releases Chilling Surveillance Video, Photos from Navy Yard Shooting

Valerie Parlave, assistant director of the FBI’s Washington field officer, said they now have a “greater understanding of recent movements and activities” by Alexis, who they say acted alone.

Sep 19, 2013

Navy Yard Reopens As Investigation Into Monday’s Shooting Continues

Navy Yard is reopening its facilities for operations three days after the mass shootings, but the investigations into the shootings and alleged shooter Aaron Alexis is still underway.

Sep 18, 2013

Navy Yard Shooter’s Mother: ‘I’m So, So Very Sorry This Has Happened’

“His actions have had a profound and everlasting effect on the families of the victims. I don’t know why he did what he did. And I’ll never be able to ask him why.”

Sep 17, 2013

Motive Still Unknown As FBI Continues Investigation Into Navy Yard Shooting

At today’s FBI press briefing about the Navy Yard shooting, a long investigation is under way to determine a motive.

Sep 16, 2013

Navy Yard Shooter Identified as 34-Year-Old Aaron Alexis

The FBI’s Valerie Parlave, who serves as assistant director in charge of the Washington Field Office, confirmed at a press briefing that Alexis was identified as the shooter.

 
Terms of Use |WAMU Privacy Notice
WAMU 88.5 | American University RadioMailing Address: PO Box 98101 | Washington, DC 20090-8101
Station Address: 4401 Connecticut Ave, NW | Washington, DC 20008 |
Combined Federal Campaign (CFC): #91855
© 2026 All Rights Reserved.