Photo by Brandon Anderson.

Photo by Brandon Anderson.

The parents of a two-year-old boy who died earlier this year were arrested Thursday on charges of murder and child abuse after their toddler endured weeks of traumas, Montgomery County police said.

Jonathan Navarrete-Turcious, 30, and Blanca Rosa Reyes, 24, of Wheaton have been charged with second degree murder, neglect of a minor, and two counts of child abuse in the death of Matthew Navarrete-Reyes.

According to the police account, detectives found that Matthew had suffered multiple injuries in the weeks before he died. The parents said he had fallen several times, but they didn’t seek medical treatment. His mother also told police that she had hit Matthew in the mouth several days before he died.

On February 13, Blanca Reyes found her son moaning in pain, unable to support himself in his crib, in the middle of the night. They took him to a hospital, where he died of dehydration with oral trauma and pneumonia.

In June, the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner ruled that the severity of Matthew’s dehydration and the prolonged amount of time before he received medical treatment indicated neglect.

Three other boys, ages 3, 4, and 5, were taken into custody of Child Protective Services.