AP PhotoJack Johnson, who pled guilty to one count of extortion and one count of evidence tampering inside a U.S. District Court in Greenbelt this afternoon, is likely facing around 11 to 13 years in prison, according to media sources. This fall, a judge will make the final determination on the exact amount of time Johnson will spend behind bars.
Addressing the media earlier this afternoon, Johnson said that he was “very sorry” for what happened and that “it has been a very trying time for [his] family.” Johnson’s wife Leslie, who currently serves on the county’s Council, is also facing charges for her involvement in the scandal, including flushing a check down a toilet in the couple’s residence and hiding a large amount of pay-for-play money in her bra. The U.S. Attorney’s Office said today that Johnson’s deal does not cover his wife and that their investigation into corruption around the county is ongoing.
Johnson will be sentenced on September 15. The official documentation on the former county executive’s plea deal can be read below.