Virginia families who lost their homes when Tropical Storm Lee flooded their Woodbridge, Va. trailer park demonstrated Friday in front of the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), which denied the state disaster aid.

From NBC Washington:

“We have nothing left except the clothes we came out with,” said victim Jamie Romero.

In early September, heavy rain from Lee caused massive flooding, destroying the Holly Acres Mobile Home Park and leaving about 500 people suddenly homeless with few affordable housing choices.

“It’s just horrible,” community activist Nancy Lyall said. “We have many families living together. We have one family that is living on a porch of a trail because there is no low-income housing in Prince William County.”

The Gonzalez family has taken in other relatives who lost everything. Four people sleep in one small bedroom. Twenty-two people share the house.

Flood victims wanted assistance from FEMA but were denied. State and local governments were approved by FEMA. Small business and home loans are available.

Earlier this month, FEMA approved Virginia’s request for disaster aid related to an earthquake that struck in August. FEMA initially denied the request, but Gov. Robert McDonnell appealed.