Photo by Michael Starghill

“Guilty as charged, your honor” was all that former D.C. Councilmember Harry Thomas, Jr. (D-Ward 5) had to say at a hearing in federal court this morning, bringing to a swift close a political and legal saga that has convulsed his ward and the District’s political class at large over the last year.

Thomas, who pleaded guilty to theft and filing false tax returns, could face up to 13 years in jail for the offenses, but will likely be sentenced on May 3 to between 37 and 46 months. (Judge John Bates told Thomas that he reserves the right to go above or below that sentence.)

Between now and his sentencing, Thomas will need to make weekly calls to or meet with a probation officer, will be screened for drugs and alcohol and will be limited in his travel. Judge Bates said that college visits with his son would be permitted with prior authorization from the court.

Thomas will also have to pay back the $353,500 he stole from the District, file amended tax returns for the three years that he stole the money and forfeit an SUV and motorcycle. Part of the agreement with federal prosecutors also included giving up his seat on the D.C. Council, which he did yesterday.

A number of candidates have expressed their intention to fight for Thomas’ seat, which will likely remain open until a special election can be scheduled in May. Despite reports that the D.C. Council would try to schedule the election so it coincides with the April 3 primary, there is little clarity as to whether that would be legally possible. The D.C. Board of Elections and Ethics has said that it would be near impossible to qualify candidates in time for the February 18 printing date for April’s ballots.

With additional reporting by Benjamin Freed