Albrecht Muth, courtesy of Georgetown PatchAlbrecht Muth was indicted yesterday for killing his 91-year-old wife, Viola Drath, last year, writes Homicide Watch. Beyond facing a charge of first degree murder for the killing of the Georgetown socialite, Muth faces additional time if convicted for “especially heinous, atrocious or cruel” way Drath was killed and the fact that she was “especially vulnerable due to age.”
Whether or not Muth will ever go to trial remains to be seen, though. In mid-February, a D.C. judge sent him to St. Elizabeth’s Mental Hospital for a full evaluation to determine whether or not he is mentally competent to stand trial; a week earlier, that judge ruled that Muth wouldn’t be able to represent himself at trial.
While Muth was always described as a little eccentric before the killing, he has seemingly slipped into apparent insanity since his arrest. He has insisted that he’s an Iraqi general and that Iranian agents plotted the killing of his wife; during one court hearing, he said he would not wear underwear since it’s not something that Iraqi soldiers do. He also took part in a hunger strike that he said was ordered by the Arch-Angel Gabriel.
Muth will be arraigned on March 14.
Martin Austermuhle