Photo by Paul Frederiksen.

Photo by Paul Frederiksen.

D.C. United’s future in the District continued to gain clarity today with the announcement that the team has finalized their new lease with Events D.C., keeping them at RFK Stadium through the end of the 2013 season. Exact terms of the lease weren’t released, but it’s safe to assume that the lease is more financially viable for the team, as RFK has long been a financial sinkhole to the black and red.

Seating for DCU games during the lease will be limited to the lower bowl and mezzanine, limiting attendance to 19,647. The team averaged about 15,000 fans per home game last year and had just over 16,000 at their opener last weekend. The only turnout last year that required the use of the upper deck was a visit from David Beckham and the Los Angeles Galaxy, drawing around 27,000 to RFK. The Galaxy won’t be visiting this year.

D.C. United will cover the upper deck with tarps, and will look to sell ad space on them. “It’s a great branding opportunity, but it’s more important that our supporters become accustomed to a 20,000-seat stadium, and we expect that limiting the capacity will encourage an increase in season ticket sales,” D.C. United President Kevin Payne said Thursday.

In addition to the lease, Events D.C. also announced a “multi-million dollar capital improvement project” on the Stadium/Armory campus. DCU fans can expect upgraded restrooms and concourse lighting, while those attending events at the armory will get renovated bleachers and an upgraded sound system. Ticket prices at RFK will now include a $2.25 facility fee, and armory patrons can expect to pay $1.25 more.

“I’m delighted that D.C. United has finalized their lease and will continue to play at RFK.” said Mayor Vince Gray. “We are hopeful that the team remains in the District and look forward to United bringing home another MLS Cup.” As always, it remains to be seen if the city is prepared to do anything to keep D.C. United in, well, D.C.