Photo by Eddie Kim

Photo by Eddie Kim

The driver who caused quite the stir Friday night when he plowed his sport utility vehicle into the ground floor of a Farragut Square office building said he did it to attract the attention of the FBI, according to court documents.

Charles Ball, of New Market, Md., was charged Saturday with intent to kill while armed after driving a stolen Jeep into the building at Connecticut Avenue and L Street NW. The vehicle was soaked with gasoline inside and out and Ball had left the gas tank open.

The Post reports that Ball told D.C. police officers responding to the scene that he was hoping to get the FBI’s interest because he said “his family was in danger and the Frederick Police Department was not helping.”

But according to court records, the Jeep belonged to a woman who was seeking protection from Ball. The Post reports:

Before the crash, according to court papers, the owner of the Jeep — who the Associated Press and Maryland court records said was a woman who had taken out a restraining order against Ball earlier that day — received a voice mail message from Ball saying he was “going to make people pay for their actions and there will be bloodshed.”

Over the weekend, it was reported the Jeep’s owner, who shares the same address with Ball, had filed a domestic violence order against him. Ball is also on Maryland’s register of sex offenders, stemming from a 2008 incident.