Screenshot via YouTube
A D.C. judge called Adam Kokesh a “very dangerous person” in denying bond to the gun rights activist on a charge stemming from a video Kokesh posted in which he appears to load a shotgun while standing on Freedom Plaza.
Kokesh, 31, was in D.C. Superior Court on Monday morning in connection with the July 4 video, which Kokesh posted as to taunt the District’s strict gun laws. He is charged with a single count of carrying a gun outside a home or place of business, which carries a maximum penalty of up to five years in prison and a fine of up to $5,000.
He was transferred to the District’s custody last week after spending a fortnight in a Fairfax County jail following his July 9 arrest at his home in Herndon. U.S. Park Police, which has jurisdiction over Freedom Plaza served a warrant on Kokesh following the appearance of the July 4 video, confiscated 10 guns, including a Maverick Arms 12-gauge pump action shotgun similar to to the one shown in the 23-second clip.
Kokesh was being held on $5,000 bond in Virginia on charges of drug possession and having a gun while also possessing a controlled subject. He was re-arrested Friday on the District gun charge.
WAMU reports that Kokesh’s attorney, Peter Cooper, told Judge Frederick Sullivan that Park Police could not prove the shotgun and shells depicted in the Freedom Plaza video were real. However, Kokesh said July 18 that the gun was the legitimate thing.
Kokesh staged the July 4 stunt about two months after suggesting that he would lead an Independence Day march of similarly minded activists across the Arlington Memorial Bridge while openly carrying loaded rifle in flagrant violation of D.C.’s gun laws. The Metropolitan Police Department said it would have met Kokesh at the District line had he attempted such an event; he later scrapped the plan in favor of rallies in state capitals calling for the dissolution of the federal government.
Kokesh is due back in D.C. Superior Court on Aug. 13.