Photo by Benjamin R. Freed
It turns out the work on the Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial will be done in time for the anniversary of the March on Washington after all.
National Park Service spokeswoman Carol Johnson said in a tweet that the NPS and a contractor have found a solution to the sandblasting issue. Work “WILL” (Johnson’s emphasis) be done by the time sculptor Lei Yixin leaves on August 20.
“NPS Historic Preservation Training Center is now working under the watchful eye of Master Lei who is happy with the solution for completion,” Johnson said in another tweet.
Concerns were raised earlier this week after executive architect Ed Jackson Jr. told the Associated Press “that a disagreement arose … over how to sandblast and refinish the stone where an inscription was recently chiseled away.” Work began last month to remove the controversial “drum major” quote from the memorial.
Request for further explanation from Johnson has yet to be returned.