The U.S. flag is shown lowered to half-staff at the White House. (Photo by Olivier Douliery-Pool/Getty Images)
One day after a shooting at the Navy Yard left 12 people and the lone gunman dead, access to the Southeast D.C. base is limited to essential personnel as the FBI continues its investigation.
Access to Washington Navy Yard restricted Tuesday to mission essential personnel as FBI investigates #NavyYardShooting
— U.S. Navy (@USNavy) September 17, 2013
Roads and bridges in that area have reopened after being closed for several hours yesterday, according to the District Department of Transportation.
To honor the victims of the shooting, President Obama has ordered public buildings fly flags at half-staff until Friday. Mayor Vincent Gray tweeted a photo of the flags outside the Wilson Building.
Flags fly at half-staff in front of the Wilson Building. pic.twitter.com/z8gIXBvIst
— Vincent C. Gray (@mayorvincegray) September 17, 2013
Secretary of Defense Chuck Hagel will lay a wreath at the U.S. Navy Memorial (701 Pennsylvania Ave NW) at 10 a.m. A live-stream of the event can be viewed here.
As Gray said last night at a press briefing, eight people were injured during the shooting, three by gunshots. The Washington Hospital Center provided an update on the three shooting victims, including Metropolitan Police Department officer Scott Williams, who are being treated at their facility.
• One male Metropolitan Police Department officer with gunshot wounds to the leg is in fair condition.
• One female civilian with gunshot wounds to the shoulder is also in fair condition.
• One female civilian with gunshot wounds to the head and hand is in good condition.
Last night, the Metropolitan Police Department released the names of seven of the 12 deceased victims: Michael Arnold, 59; Sylvia Frasier, 53; Kathy Gaarde, 62; John Roger Johnson, 73; Frank Kohler, 50; Kenneth Bernard Proctor, 46; and Vishnu Pandit, 61.
As with previous mass tragedies, the Washington Post is collecting the victims’ stories. From there, we’ve learned that Daniels was a grandfather of nine, Arnold was a “wonderful person and a wonderful neighbor” and so many other heartbreaking details.
Attention has also turned to the alleged shooter, Aaron Alexis, his mental health and how he was able to obtain a valid pass and security clearance to enter the Navy Yard.
Law enforcement officials told the Associated Press that Alexis “had been suffering a host of serious mental issues, including paranoia and a sleep disorder. He also had been hearing voices in his head, the officials said.”
On CNN, Mayor Vince Gray suggested that the sequester may have played a role in the shooting.
“We’re continuing this investigation,” Gray said on New Day. “But certainly, as I look at for example sequestration, which is about saving money in the federal government being spent, that we somehow skimped on what would be available for projects like this, and then we put people at risk. Obviously 12 people have paid the ultimate price for whatever — you know, whatever was done to have this man on the base.”
Councilmember Tommy Wells, who represents Ward 6, the area where the shooting took place, released a statement condemning gun violence.
“Gun violence has plagued our city and our country for far too long. I am committed to working with Police Chief Cathy Lanier, as well as leaders in Maryland, Virginia, and in Congress to increase efforts to keep automatic weapons out of dangerous hands and out of our city. Every effort must be made to keep shooting massacres like this from ever happening again.”