Zukerberg

Zukerberg

Lawyer and former At-Large Council candidate Paul Zukerberg has hit yet another roadblock in his quest to become D.C.’s first-ever elected attorney general. Last week, Zukerberg was ordered by the D.C. Office of Campaign finance to put an end to his attorney general campaign.

“Last Thursday I received an order from the D.C. Office of Campaign Finance directing me to stop ‘collecting or expending any funds in relation to campaigning for [Attorney General],” Zukerberg says in a press release. “OCF also said that it was not accepting the official campaign registration documents for my committee, Zukerberg for Attorney General, which were filed at OCF two weeks ago.”

WAMU was the first outlet to report the news.

But despite the latest road block, Zukerberg says he’ll keep fighting to get on the ballot in the April 2014 primaries. In 2010, District voters overwhelmingly voted to hold an attorney general election in 2014, but the D.C. Council voted to approve a bill that would delay the election for another four years. Last month, Zukerberg announced that he would sue the D.C. Council to ensure a Attorney General election in 2014, but his petition for an injunction was denied by the District Court a few weeks ago.

Zukerberg says that his campaign is “in complete compliance with all OCF regulations” and that “the shut-down order can only be political.” His campaign committee, Zukerberg for Attorney General, has been removed from the OCF web site, and he says they didn’t provide him with any notice. Zukerberg will not stop campaigning, however, and says that he won’t turn away supporters who want to help fund his campaign.

“One thing is clear, the tyrants running this city will do anything to prevent the voters from electing an independent attorney general,” says Zukerberg. “Denying me the right to raise or spend money is a severe obstacle, but I will not withdraw or back down,” he said.

You can read the full letter sent to Zukerberg from the Office of Campaign Finance below: