T.J. Kirkpatrick/Getty Images.

Police say 51-year-old Kahlil Tatum is dead.

Update: Lanier said at a later press conference the body has tentatively been identified as Kahlil Tatum.

Original post

The body of an adult male was found today in a Northeast D.C. park where officials have been searching for a missing child, police said.

Metropolitan Police Department Chief Cathy Lanier said the body has not been identified. While not confirmed, it appears the adult male committed suicide. Lanier could not describe the decomposition of the body or identify the race of the deceased person. The body was found within the search area, Lanier said, declining to give specifics.

Police are looking for missing eight-year-old girl Relisha Rudd and the 51-year-old man suspected in her abduction, Kahlil Tatum. At a press conference last week, Lanier said they could not rule out the possibility that Tatum — a janitor at the D.C. General shelter where Relisha lived with her family — murdered her. Tatum, who has been charged with the murder of his wife in Prince George’s County, purchased large trash bags one day after the last confirmed sighting of Relisha on March 1, Lanier said.

Hundreds of officers and recruits, as well as divers and cameras in bodies of water, have been searching the 700-acre Kenilworth Park since Thursday of last week. Lanier described the search as “very methodical and very technical in nature,” and said it will continue for some days.

“Our primary focus was to find Relisha,” Lanier said. “We’re not finished.”