Missing Relisha Rudd. Via MPD.

Missing Relisha Rudd. Via MPD.

Police ended their search for Relisha Rudd at a Northeast D.C. park today, leaving without anything that may lead them to the missing eight-year-old girl.

“We have not turned up anything in this search that has answered any questions for us about Relisha’s whereabouts,” Metropolitan Police Department Chief Cathy Lanier said. She added that, while they are “relieved” not to find what they expected to find — namely, the child’s body — it is “heart-wrenching” to not have the answer to where she is.

Police discovered the body of 51-year-old Kahlil Tatum, the man suspected in Relisha’s abduction and the murder of his wife, on the grounds of Kenilworth Park earlier this week. It appears Tatum, who worked as a janitor at the D.C. General homeless shelter where Relisha lived, committed suicide.

On Relisha’s location, Lanier said, “The one person I think could have given us the best answer, Mr. Tatum, can’t give us that answer anymore.”

Relisha was last seen on March 1 in the area of Bladensburg Road NE. The following day, Tatum was seen buying large garbage bags.

While the search of the park was earlier described by Lanier as a “recovery operation,” she said the investigation is still “very active.”

“We hope she’s still alive,” Lanier said. “We hope she’s still alive.”