A 14-year-old boy who shot into a crowd outside the National Zoo earlier this year was ordered to spend the next four years at a juvenile detention facility.
The teen, who is not identified by name because he’s a minor, shot and injured two people outside the Northwest D.C. zoo on Easter Monday after seeing members of a rival gang. As NBC4 and the Post report, prosecutors wanted the teen, who police say is a member of the Southwest Crew gang, to stay in a detention facility until he was 21. The public defender representing the teen originally asked for probation and later no more than two years.
While the judge was given the authority to commit the youth, only the D.C. Department of Youth Rehabilitation Services can determine how long he is detained.*
From NBC4:
In court last month, the teen’s parents said they wanted him to get help at home. The boy had been getting home treatment since 2011, but his mother said insurance ran out so he was unable to continue.
However, the judge said the teen doesn’t seem to respond well to community- or home-based treatment because he had been charged with previous unrelated crimes. He hadn’t served any jail time in those cases.
In court in May, it was revealed he had been chronically absent from school, missing months of classes. Testimony revealed he had three suspensions for fights and threats, 35 unexcused absences and 108 excused absences.
*Sentence added for clarification.