A man accused of kidnapping and armed robbery on a Red Line train earlier this week is facing new charges of first-degree sex abuse in the same case.
Photo via Metro PD.
On May 23, a victim was robbed of her cell phone at the Bethesda Metro station and forced to another location in Friendship Heights, according to Metro spokesperson Sherri Ly. As Metro Police were responding to the victim’s call in Friendship Heights, reports of a similar robbery emerged from Van Ness Metro with a separate victim.
Dominick Simons, 25, “was stopped, identified, and arrested,” says Ly, and tied to both incidents.
The new first-degree sex abuse charges came “after receiving additional information that was not initially reported by the victim,” says Ly. “The incident occurred off Metro property,” but the case is in WMATA’s jurisdiction because it’s a continuation of the incident that started in Bethesda.
Simons is currently in D.C. custody, and faces charges in both D.C. and Montgomery County, for which he will have to be extradited to Maryland. He previously pled guilty in 2010 to armed robbery, according to D.C. court records.
Earlier this week, prosecutors recounted a Red Line attack in April that resulted in first-degree rape charges for John Hicks, who allegedly raped a woman on the train between the Forest Glen and Glenmont stations. Metro received criticism for not releasing information about the attack, and General Manager Paul Wiedefeld has since directed Metro Transit Police to notify the public of any violent crime that occurs on the same day, unless it would put an investigation in jeopardy.
Rachel Kurzius