D.C. Council voted to approve emergency legislation that would stall Providence Hospital from ending acute-care services, as it had been planning to by the end of 2018.

Elly Yu / WAMU

This is a developing story and will be updated.

Earlier this year, Providence Hospital announced it would shut down its acute-care services by December 14. Now the hospital’s emergency room will remain open through April 2019, according to the District of Columbia Hospital Association.

“The District of Columbia Hospital Association, after discussions with both Providence Health System—Ascension and the District of Columbia Department of Health, can confirm that Providence Hospital’s Emergency Department will remain open to low acuity visits until April 30, 2019 and that the hospital will maintain 10-15 inpatient beds to support the emergency services,” the association said in a statement.

“Specifics regarding other services that will be maintained to support the Emergency Department and the inpatient beds will be announced over the coming days,” the statement said.

The initial closure announcement prompted an outcry from patients and community members, as well as hearings from local lawmakers.

In response, the D.C. Council passed emergency legislation aimed to stall the closure and the measure gave a District agency authority to approve or disapprove a hospital’s shutdown.

WAMU has reached out to D.C. Health and Ascension, the organization that owns Providence, for comment.

This story was originally published on WAMU.