Ceremonies at Arlington National Cemetery to mark Memorial Day looked different this year, with the cemetery adjusting its usual procedures to adhere to social distancing guidelines.
The cemetery usually hosts about 5,000 visitors for its Memorial Day observance ceremony and upward of 135,000 visitors throughout the weekend, but it’s been closed to the public since March 23.
Honor flights for veterans seeking to visit war memorials in D.C. were also canceled this year.
At Arlington National Cemetery, families with passes — and face coverings — were able to visit the graves of loved ones throughout the day. But the wreath-laying ceremony at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, hosted by Defense Secretary Mark Esper and attended by President Donald Trump, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff General Mark Milley, and first lady Melania Trump was not open to the public.
“We are expecting several thousand family pass holders to visit their loved ones graves this Memorial Day weekend. Protecting the health of our employees, service members, contractors and our visitors is paramount,” said Arlington National Cemetery Superintendent Charles “Ray” Alexander Jr. in a press release explaining this year’s restrictions.
Members of the 3rd U.S. Infantry Regiment, the “Old Guard” performed the annual Flags In ceremony earlier in the week while wearing masks, placing American flags in front of 228,000 headstones and 7,000 niche rows to honor the service members buried at the cemetery.

The Memorial Day wreath-laying ceremony itself was somewhat modified to promote social distancing. Service members bearing the flags of the United States and the branches of the military stood spaced far apart. A few uniformed service members wore masks, though not most. Neither did the president or first lady. A well-spaced, mostly uniformed crowd watched the proceedings.
The ceremony was short: The president observed a moment of silence, touched the ceremonial wreath in front of the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, and saluted while “Taps” was played.
The president did not give a public speech at the cemetery’s Memorial Amphitheater following this morning’s wreath-laying ceremony, as is usually customary. The Memorial Amphitheater has been home to the nation’s observance of Memorial Day since 1920 — but the centennial is being celebrated with an online exhibit instead of an in-person gathering during the coronavirus pandemic.
The president gave an address this afternoon at Fort McHenry National Monument in Baltimore. His visit provoked criticism from Mayor Bernard “Jack” Young, who says it contradicts the city’s stay-at-home orders.
Funerals with military honors continue at Arlington National Cemetery, though larger escorts, including those with a full band and a group of marching servicemen, are “curtailed until further notice” according to the cemetery. Members of the Old Guard continue to keep watch at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier during the pandemic, though no visitors are permitted.
“It’s a very unique time for us to be in Arlington, because there’s no one here,” said Capt. Harold Earls, who commands the Old Guard, in a video posted on Twitter. “I think that’s honestly when we feel closest to what we do, when we feel closest to the Unknowns, when no one’s here.”
Margaret Barthel