While some have said they’re already making travel arrangements for the march, others have expressed concerns about the planning behind it.

Tyrone Turner / WAMU/DCist

[Update: Here’s What We Know About The March On Washington 2020]

As protests over the killings of George Floyd, Breonna Taylor, and other black people at the hands of police continue in D.C. and across the U.S., many protesters are beginning to ask: What comes next?

Some locals have suggested they will demonstrate all summer long if necessary. And they’re not alone.

Last week, a flyer advertising a “second great March on Washington for justice, equality, and for the fight against oppression” started circulating online. The event would take place Aug. 28, noted the flyer, to mark the 57th anniversary of Martin Luther King Jr.’s historic “I Have A Dream” speech.

The organizers behind the flyer subsequently launched an Instagram account. The account has gained more than 18,000 followers in a matter of a few days and, on Friday, it posted a message urging people to “help support the fight against police brutality and oppression of all forms.” A Twitter account related to the flyer also popped up last week.

https://twitter.com/MarchOnWash2020/status/1268666304149557250

The flyer displays a powerful image of a black man cupping his face with his hands, as if fighting back tears. The organizers list the would-be march’s location as the Lincoln Memorial, where King delivered his “I Have A Dream” speech.

Although some observers have responded with messages of support and promises to attend, others are scratching their heads about the event. The social media pages where the flyer was shared don’t reveal any affiliation with local or national activism groups. And a Google form requesting volunteers for the march displays an email address for the group, but little else.

[Stay informed and get DCist Daily in your inbox.]

The organizers say the march isn’t affiliated with a Washington march being planned for the same date by civil rights activist and National Action Network leader Al Sharpton. Speaking at a memorial service for Floyd held in Minneapolis last Thursday, Sharpton said the march he was arranging would be led by families of black people killed by police officers, including the Floyds.

The march organized by the National Action Network is slated to involve an estimated 100,000 participants, 1,000 buses, a host of jumbotrons and lighting equipment, and at least 10 tents on or near the National Mall, according to a permit application obtained by DCist. The National Park Service received the application last Friday.

In a map included with the application, the group outlines a procession along the perimeter of the Lincoln Memorial Reflecting Pool, a gathering at that memorial, and a march to the Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial on the Tidal Basin. Participants would continue along Independence Avenue SW to various points along the Mall, the map shows. The application notes that “anyone not marching will need to exit the memorial ground using Constitution Ave[nue].”

The map attached to the National Action Network’s permit application for a march Aug. 28. National Action Network

NPS hasn’t said whether it will grant the requested permit. The agency has temporarily suspended all applications through June 22, according to the Washington Post.

The organizers of the other march eventually reworked their flyer and changed the group’s social media handles. On Monday, they addressed the growing questions about their background on Instagram:

“We are an independently run group with no affiliation with any other organization at the moment. This movement was started on May 31st before any news broke out about Rev. Al Sharpton planning a March of his own. However, we have been trying to collaborate with other groups and personalities such BLM chapters from all over the country, Rev. Al Sharpton, MLK III, Color of Change, and many others so we can combine our efforts. We will also be adding more information about the organizing team.”

The group didn’t immediately respond to DCist’s requests for comment. The organizers have asked their group’s followers to reach out to larger activism organizations on their behalf, saying they’d love to work with them “in any capacity.” (Black Lives Matter D.C. also didn’t immediately respond to our request for comment.)

The group followed up with another post Monday, apologizing for any confusion its flyer caused and clarifying that its main organizers are black. “Our black leaders are at the forefront of this organization; however, allies are also a part of the organizing process,” the post stated. “We are ready to step aside if need be, but our goal is to collaborate with the march backed by [the National Action Network].”

The group urged supporters to register for the march organized by the National Action Network. It also said it will refrain from posting additional information until it hears back from Sharpton’s organization.

The social media page DMV Daily, which shared the group’s flyer over the weekend, on Instagram, told DCist that it was unsure about the identity of the organizers. “[The flyer] was sent to us to advertise from a mass email with no direct contact number or email,” a representative for DMV Daily explained. “After the email, then we received the volunteer details to fill out.”

In a reply to a commenter, the organizers said they were “working on acquiring a permit” for the march. The National Park Service hasn’t yet confirmed whether it’s received a permit for any such event.

During the past few weeks, thousands of D.C. residents have called for police reform and political action, laying out long-term demands for the city while the current movement amplifies years-long pressure for change. In a sign of activists’ looking ahead, one demonstration in the District was even called the “Next Steps” rally.

Still, as the movement gains traction, some worry that disorganization and inaccurate information could distract or otherwise sideline hoped-for changes. For instance, bogus D.C. bail funds have spread on the Internet, even though the District eliminated cash bail nearly 30 years ago.

Some observers have recommended that the mystery group should join forces with Sharpton and get in touch with the Floyd family to coordinate efforts. “You have to know your audience and it appears to be a lot folks who are continuing to ask the same question,” one Instagram commenter wrote in reply to the group’s call for volunteers. “Hence, it needs to be done with a quickness or be prepared for black folks to tap out.”

Others say they intend to show up no matter who’s behind the march. “Black or not, I am down with the cause,” an Instagram user wrote. “My room and flight is booked.”

This post has been updated with information about the National Action Network’s permit application.