The National Park Service says it’s issuing permits again for demonstrations and other common events on the National Mall after a three-month hiatus due to the coronavirus pandemic.
“[P]ermits can be issued for demonstrations, commercial filming and photography, and special events,” NPS said in a release issued Wednesday. Organized sports, however, will remain prohibited on the Mall for now, in accordance with public health recommendations.
Officials say they expect to allow additional activity on the Mall and in other federal parks in July.
Demonstrations have occurred on America’s front yard for weeks now as protesters have gathered by the thousands to demonstrate against racism and police violence. Still, officials say that resuming permit issuances will help them better prepare for events there and keep people safe as the region continues to grapple with the pandemic. Officials are asking organizers to include anti-COVID-19 measures in their event plans, such as wearing masks and following social-distancing guidelines.
The change comes after an NPS order that had suspended the Park Service’s acceptance of permits and cancelled or postponed previously scheduled events expired on Tuesday. In that order, NPS said it would “reevaluate the postures of each jurisdiction” in crafting future guidance because local jurisdictions have different coronavirus reopening plans.
Large events are already slated for the National Mall this summer. President Trump’s administration has announced a fireworks display over the Mall for July 4, and Al Sharpton’s National Action Network is organizing a march on Washington for Aug. 28 (a separate group was organizing its own march for the same day).
During a typical year, the National Mall sees more than 4,000 permitted activities, NPS says. The park service accepts permit applications in person or by mail, Mondays through Fridays between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m.