Prince George’s County will enter into full Phase Two of reopening on June 29, allowing nearly all nonessential businesses to open at limited capacity.
Retail stores, fitness centers, beauty salons, houses of worship and outdoor recreation facilities will be allowed to reopen at 50% capacity while observing social distancing guidelines, according to a press release. Amusement parks will be allowed to open at 40% capacity, and outdoor pools will reopen, but indoor pools will remain closed.
Large gatherings will also be allowed to resume while observing social distancing among people outside the household and with no more than 100 people in a given area. County government buildings will stay closed to the public and continue offering virtual services for residents.
“We remain cautiously optimistic as we move forward with our phased reopening and recovery of Prince George’s County,” County Executive Angela Alsobrooks said in a press release. “I am encouraged by the progress that we have made together as a community to slow the spread of this virus, and I know that if we all continue to take certain precautions, we can continue to contain the spread of COVID-19 in this next phase of our reopening.”
Previously, the county entered a modified version of Phase Two after largely lagging behind state guidance on reopening. While Prince George’s and Montgomery counties have been some of the hardest-hit by the coronavirus in the state, the latter entered a full Phase Two reopening earlier this month.
Alsobrooks floated the possibility of moving Prince George’s into full Phase Two earlier this month but expressed concern that the county wasn’t ready, weighing the lives of hundreds killed by the disease.
“COVID-19 is still very much a part of our community,” Alsobrooks said at the time. “We are not out of the woods.”
The decision to fully move into full Phase Two is fueled in part by a decline in death rates, according to the press release. Deaths per week in the county have decreased by 64% from its high of 74 per week in April. The county hospitalization rate has also decreased from a daily average of 244 COVID-19 patients in early May to 80 patients per day so far this week.
Medical bed use and the number of patients in the ICU is also reportedly down. The county said it now has more than 50% of its medical beds and nearly 50% of ICU beds available — well above its goal to keep at least 30% of beds free.
Prince George’s reports expanded testing capacity and the addition of a fifth testing site in Hyattsville. It says that more than 9,000 residents are tested per week and its positivity rate is down from 43% in April to nearly 8% as of Thursday.
Christian Zapata