After some uncertainty, the Washington Nationals will begin their 2020 season at Nationals Park after all.
The team had reportedly been considering other sites for Opening Day on July 23 due to coronavirus restrictions in D.C. But Nats spokesperson Christopher Boone confirmed to DCist/WAMU on Friday that the team will play this year’s home games at the Navy Yard stadium.
Browne did not respond to questions about the team’s consideration of other venues or the reason they will now play at Nats Park.
The Washington Post reported Thursday that the team had been exploring alternatives due to the city’s guidance that players, coaches, and staff quarantine for two weeks after exposure to the coronavirus. D.C. reportedly declined to bend the rules for the team, which raised concerns about players’ ability to compete with restrictions.
A July 16 letter obtained by DCist/WAMU and written by Christopher Rodriguez, the director of the Homeland Security and Emergency Management Agency, describes a proposal from the team which allows for modified guidance for players and staff who have potentially been exposed to COVID-19, including allowing them to travel to and from the ballpark following the possible exposure. The players would otherwise be required to quarantine at home, and be subject to a daily coronavirus test for two weeks.
In the letter, addressed to Gregory McCarthy, the senior vice president of community engagement for the Washington Nationals Baseball Club, Rodriguez wrote, “DC Health opines that this proposal poses a potential risk to others in the workplace, both employees and non-employees, who may come into contact with the individual who has been exposed to COVID-19 and continues to work.”
He continued, “If the individual is permitted to travel during the self-quarantine and interacts with members outside the primary organization, the risk extends. As such, the Washington Nationals adopts this modified policy with the understanding and acceptance of this risk to its workforce and other members of the public.”
Browne did not immediately respond to a request for comment on the letter.
The 2019 World Series champions reportedly considered two other sites for next week’s game, when they are due to host the New York Yankees, including their Class A Stadium in Fredericksburg, Virginia, and their spring training facility in West Palm Beach, Florida, according to the Post.
This year’s season has been delayed by COVID-19, and a number of Major League Baseball players have opted out of playing because of safety concerns, including Nats’ first baseman Ryan Zimmerman.
Sean Doolittle, one of the team’s relievers, also voiced his concerns about playing during the pandemic during a Zoom call with reporters and on Twitter earlier this month. Doolittle said players were not receiving coronavirus test results in a timely fashion and didn’t have enough personal protection equipment.
“We’re trying to bring baseball back in a pandemic that has killed 130,000 people,” Doolittle said. “We are worse in this country than where we were in March when we shut this thing down.”
The Nats will begin their season just after D.C., Maryland, and Virginia all reported their highest caseloads since early June on Wednesday.