D.C. officials are voicing opposition to President Donald Trump’s reported hope to deliver his Republican National Convention acceptance speech from the White House.
The Washington Post was the first to report on the pushback.
Asked Wednesday about the possibility of such an event drawing out-of-state visitors, Mayor Muriel Bowser said she did not envision making “any exceptions” to the District’s new quarantine order, but added that she wasn’t familiar with the specifics of Trump’s plans.
Last month, Bowser instituted an order requiring travelers from 27 “high-risk” states to self-quarantine for two weeks. There is an exemption for essential travel, including “essential government activities,” which has applied to members of Congress who come from states where virus cases have surged.
“I don’t know that we anticipate any exceptions to the quarantine until we lift the quarantine, but I’m also not familiar with the activities you’re referring to,” Bowser said in a Wednesday press conference. She said her office had not been in communication with campaign officials about preparations for a convention speech.
The District, which is in Phase 2 of its reopening plan, has limited gatherings to 50 people. It’s unclear if the Trump campaign could be exempted from any of the city’s health policies, including the gathering size limit, the quarantine order, or the mask requirement.
In late July, Bowser signed an order requiring people to wear masks outside the home in most circumstances. Trump has largely eschewed wearing a face covering. Last month the president attended a fundraiser at the Trump International Hotel in D.C. where he and other guests went maskless, prompting the city to inspect the hotel, according to the Washington Post.
The location of Republican National Convention events has been in flux due to the coronavirus pandemic. Trump recently cancelled events planned in Jacksonville, Fla. as case numbers soared in that state.
He has expressed interest in accepting the Republican nomination from the White House’s South Lawn, but elected officials on both sides of the aisle have pushed back on the idea and questioned its legality.
Other D.C. Council members have voiced their opposition to plans for a White House convention address.
Ward 3 councilmember Mary Cheh told the Washington Post that holding convention events in D.C. could be “a lightning rod for confrontation,” sparking more protests in the city.
And she said any attendees must comply with D.C. laws. “If they comply with the law, they are more than welcome to come to Washington,” she told the Post, “Otherwise they should stay home.”
At-large Councilmember Anita Bonds told DCist that Trump should find another location, taking issue with the possibility he would hold an event aligned with a political party at the executive mansion.
“When you occupy the White House you speak for the entire nation, not a political party,” she said. “Clearly, an acceptance speech for federal office is political.”
Councilmember Brandon Todd, who represents Ward 4, said the White House “is not an appropriate place for a campaign event.”
Ward 2 Councilmember Brooke Pinto said hosting convention events in D.C. could pose a safety risk.
“My first priority is to ensure the health and safety of District residents. I do not believe that hosting the Republican National Convention in DC will help us to meet that goal,” she said in a statement, according to the Post.
Debbie Truong contributed reporting.
This story was updated with a comment from Councilmember Brandon Todd.