This Sept. 26 event at the White House Rose Garden is being called a “super spreader” event after several attendees tested positive for COVID-19.

Alex Brandon / AP Photo

Nine congressional Democrats from the D.C. region denounced the White House’s handling of its coronavirus outbreak on Tuesday.

In a statement, lawmakers from D.C., Maryland, and Virginia voiced their alarm at the “casual disregard for the health of our community, including constituents who work at the White House as staff, agents, or officers of the United States Secret Service, journalists of the White House Correspondents Association, and the general public.”

The statement from D.C. Congresswoman Eleanor Holmes Norton, House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer of Maryland, Virginia representatives Don Beyer, Gerry Connolly, and Jennifer Wexton, and Maryland representatives Jamie Raskin, John Sarbanes, Anthony Brown, and David Trone, comes as President Donald Trump returned to the White House from Walter Reed National Military Medical Center on Monday after testing positive for COVID-19.

“Daily announcements of new infections among the political, press, and custodial staff show that the coronavirus outbreak at the White House is out of control,” the group’s statement said.

The group called on the White House to take steps to curb the spread of the virus for those who work for or around the president, including disclosing the date of the president’s most recent negative COVID-19 test result, which the White House has declined to do, and release of the total number of positive tests among White House personnel.

“This is no time for publicity stunts that put people at risk, or for playing down the seriousness of this pandemic,” they said. The American people will never trust the Administration to keep them safe if the White House cannot protect its own staff.”

The statement also urged the White House to cooperate with local and state health departments to aid in contact tracing efforts, maximize the use of telework to reduce the public health risk to staff, among other steps.

A number of the president’s close contacts have also tested positive, including First Lady Melania Trump, former New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie, and former White House advisor Kellyanne Conway.

Kayleigh McEnany, the White House press secretary, also tested positive for the virus, along with two other members of the White House press team, and at least three reporters who cover the White House tested positive over the past week. Non-public facing staff have also tested positive, including two housekeepers.

Local elected officials and former White House residence staff have also voiced concerns about the outbreak’s effect on other White House staff, including residence staff and secret service.

During a press briefing on Monday, Dr. Sean Conley, the president’s physician, said the medical team was carefully looking at “how to keep everything safe down at the White House for the president and those around him. We’re looking at where he’s going to be able to carry out his duties, office space,” Conley told reporters.

Conley declined to go into further detail about protocols at the White House to prevent further spread of infection.

Mayor Muriel Bowser said at a press briefing on Monday that D.C. officials and White House medical personnel have been in touch briefly regarding the spread of the White House outbreak. She said D.C. Health officials reached out to the White House but had not made “substantial contact from the public health side.”

The city said last week that the White House would handle contact tracing efforts. But D.C. Health director Dr. LaQuandra Nesbitt said in the briefing Monday that cases of White House workers who are District residents testing positive would be subject to the District’s contact tracing process.

The New York Times reported on Monday that the White House is not contact tracing for guests at a Sept. 26 Rose Garden event, though several people who attended have tested positive.