D.C. police are providing further information about the victim of and circumstances surrounding a police shooting on Monday. Officers fatally shot a person while responding to a domestic violence call, according to police officials. In a press conference on Tuesday, Police Chief Robert J. Contee III identified the shooting victim as Deandre Johnson, 30, and offered his analysis of the situation after viewing the body-worn camera footage.
The shooting occurred after 4:30 p.m. in the 1300 block of Congress Street SE, where according to Contee officers were serving a temporary protection order. Contee said Johnson had a history of domestic violence, including one instance where he allegedly held a gun to a woman’s head and threatened her. The protective order came at the request of the unidentified female victim, who was in the apartment with children at the time of the police shooting, Contee said.
Three officers were at the scene to serve the order and ultimately decided they had probable cause to arrest Johnson instead. Johnson “became aggravated,” Contee said, when it became clear the officers wanted to arrest him. The officers on the scene “attempted to de-escalate the situation by placing themselves between the victim and Johnson,” Contee said, but the situation devolved into what Contee described as an “intense physical struggle” with one of the officers.
“Once it became clear he was being placed under arrest it all unfolded very quickly,” Contee said.
During the struggle, Contee said Johnson put his hand on an officer’s holster, though he did not ever have full possession of the gun. On the body-worn camera footage, one officer can be heard saying “He’s got my –” immediately before another officer fired two rounds, wounding Johnson in the back. Johnson was not armed, Contee said.
Those details, Contee said, came from his interpretation of the body-worn camera footage of the incident. But the footage, he said, is incomplete: at one point in the struggle with Johnson, one officer’s camera turned off, and later turned back on again.
Asked if he thought officers on the scene could have done anything else to resolve the situation without bloodshed, Contee said the video footage was inconclusive.
“It’s really kind of hard to say at this point. The officers obviously engaged in de-escalation tactics,” Contee said. “I do not have the vantage point of the officer involved to make that assessment.”
By law footage from the cameras has to be released to the public within five days, unless a family member of the individual killed by police objects. D.C. police and Department of Behavioral Health staff have already showed Johnson’s family the footage, Contee said.
Contee also offered his condolences to Johnson’s family and loved ones.
“I must acknowledge that the loss of any life in the District of Columbia is tragic for family and for community,” he said.
The names of the officers involved also have to be released, per D.C. law, though they have not yet been made public. All three have been placed on administrative leave, pending a criminal investigation from the U.S. Attorney’s Office and a departmental internal affairs investigation.
Police have shot at least a half-dozen people since the summer, some fatally. They include An’Twan Gilmore, who was shot while he slept in his car in August, and George Watson, who was shot in early September after emerging from an apartment armed with what police said was a long gun but was later determined to be a pellet gun.
Later in September police shot and wounded Daron Barnes after he allegedly fled a double shooting in Northwest. Earlier this month, Jaron Wimbish was wounded by police after a standoff at a Northeast home where he allegedly shot a relative with a BB gun and was seen with a knife. Wimbish’s mother later told NBC4 that she didn’t think police needed to shoot him.
Martin Austermuhle
Margaret Barthel