Update: Montgomery County police have determined that the individual killed in an explosion on Wednesday at a Gaithersburg apartment complex died by suicide.
Officials identified the individual as 36-year-old Juan Pablo Marshall Quizon, who owned an apartment unit in building 826. A medical examiner determined the cause of death to be smoke inhalations and burns.
“There’s further witness statements and evidence that also support a ruling of suicide in this particular case,” Police Chief Marcus Jones said at a press conference Friday evening. A missing persons report had been filed for Quizon around 11:30 a.m. Wednesday morning.
All ten people that were transported to the hospital on Wednesday have been discharged, Fire Chief Scott Goldstein said Friday. Police are continuing the criminal investigation into Quizon’s death and the blast, and working to determine the exact cause of the fire and explosion.
“We have no information to believe that Mr. Quizon intended for other individuals to be injured or harmed in this particular incident,” Jones said.
Original:
An apartment explosion Wednesday in Gaithersburg has now turned into a criminal investigation after a body was found in the building’s remains.
Police responded to a call of a building explosion on Quince Orchard Boulevard around 8:40 a.m. Wednesday morning, and identified a fire in apartment unit 826. 24 total units were evacuated, displacing residents. Fourteen residents were injured and are now in stable condition, officials said Thursday. Investigators were able to contact occupants in all units except one, unit 826.
Police used K9s to excavate for human remains, and while also utilizing an excavator to dig through unit 826, they found one unidentified body around 10:30 a.m. yesterday.
“Due to the fact that one body has been located, this now involves Montgomery County Police Major Crimes division,” Montgomery County Police Chief Marcus Jones said at a press conference. Jones said they are investigating whether the fire was a “criminal, intentional act.”
There are developing threads as to the source of the explosion. Investigators are looking into a 911 call from a woman who was frantic that her son was suicidal and she could not locate him around the time of the explosion, according to NBC4.
Of the 14 people injured in the explosion, 10 were transported to local hospitals. Only one remained in the hospital as of Thursday morning, officials said, while others were treated at the scene. Eight people were treated for mild to moderate injuries, four of whom were children.
There are still parts of the building police need to remove debris and search through. Police also have not confirmed the exact cause of the explosion.
Displaced residents are being housed at an overnight shelter at the Activity Center at Bohrer Park in Gaithersburg, and Montgomery Housing Partners have set up a fundraiser for residents. The Red Cross has also announced they are working with government partners to help with health and mental health needs for families affected, according to WUSA9.
If you need help or know someone who does, please call the national Suicide and Crisis Lifeline at 988. In D.C., you can also call the city’s 24-hour mental health hotline at 1-888-793-4357.
This post has been updated with information from a Friday night press conference.
Aja Drain
Colleen Grablick