Downed light poles and street signs in Northwest D.C..

Tyrone Turner / DCist/WAMU

Thousands of D.C. area residents were still without power Monday morning after a severe thunderstorm Saturday packing high winds downed trees and powerlines.

Pepco – which serves households in D.C. and parts of Maryland – said 70,000 of its customers lost power when the storm hit. Roughly 90% of those customers had service back by Monday at noon, and the number of outages continued to drop throughout the afternoon. Pepco says all service should be restored by Tuesday afternoon.

In the District, outages were most heavily concentrated in Northwest D.C., where Mayor Muriel Bowser visited a neighborhood at 44 St & Cathedral Ave NW on Monday. Fallen trees and branches littered the roads and some streets were blocked off to drivers.

“The impacts have been devastating,” Bowser said. “We want to remind our residents to continue exercising caution as cleanup continues.”

Damage in Northwest D.C. from Saturday night’s storm. Tyrone Turner / DCist/WAMU

The storm did not cause any fatalities, though the mayor said two people were injured and recovering. She reminded residents to avoid downed power lines, and said those without power should find cooling centers.

Kishan Putta, ANC commissioner for the District’s Burleith neighborhood, says he and some of his neighbors have been out of power since Saturday. Their refrigerators are off, so they’re using ice (if they can get it) to keep food from spoiling. Without air conditioning or a fan, Putta’s been going to the local pool to escape the heat. It’s been difficult to sleep, especially for his five-year-old.

Putta said his neighbors told him they saw smoke and heard explosions and “electric sounds and humming” on the day of the storm.

“It was very concerning,” Putta says. “It wasn’t just the rain, it wasn’t just the wind, it was also the electrical danger as well.”

Saturday’s storm was the culmination of last week’s extreme heat and humidity and a cold front approaching from the west, said Christopher Rodriguez, director of the Homeland Security and Emergency Management Agency.

The Emergency Management Agency has been, for the last week, really looking at how to manage the extreme heat, how we support our most at-risk residents,” he said.

Some residents seemed unprepared for the severity of the storm, and not all residents got emergency alerts on their phones. Putta said he didn’t recall getting many communications beforehand, though he “reads most things.” He also said Pepco didn’t seem to reflect that he and his neighbors were without power when the storm hit.

Kishan Putta, ANC commissioner and resident of the Burleith neighborhood, talks to Mayor Bowser. Putta said that he still doesn’t have power at his home. Tyrone Turner / DCist/WAMU

Bowser said her office works with the National Weather Service to notify the public and that “she got a lot of alerts,” and that people should continue to check their phones and the news for weather updates.

In Maryland, Montgomery County was also particularly hard hit by the storm. Out of the more than 4,000 people who were without power in Maryland, more than half were in Montgomery County,  though by Monday afternoon, only around 50 customers were still without power.

In Northern Virginia, the storm caused 86,000 outages on Saturday, according to Dominion Energy, the state’s electrical utility. That included close to 30,000 in Arlington County, which had the highest concentration of outages in the Virginia suburbs. Close to 4,000 people still did not have power as of Monday morning, mostly concentrated in Arlington. That number shrank to 540 by the afternoon.

Damage in Northwest D.C. from Saturday night’s storm, near Cathedral Avenue. Mayor Bowser had a walk through of the neighborhood with PEPCO and District officials before holding a press conference.

Road closures are ongoing across the region due to fallen debris. The George Washington Memorial Parkway is experiencing closures as crews continue to clear fallen trees from the highway, which could take days. The National Park Service advised Virginia drivers to find alternate routes to a key section of the parkway between I-495 and Spout Run Parkway in Arlington due to cleanup.

Several large fallen trees also blocked paths on Roosevelt Island and obstructed northern parts of the nearby Mount Vernon Trail, prompting a call for volunteers to join a clean-up effort on Monday evening. The Custis Trail was also blocked by fallen branches and trees.

Margaret Barthel contributed reporting.