Metro has taken its share of heat this year for the way it’s handled crime on its trains and in stations, so it’s not surprising that the agency sent out a triumphant press release this morning announcing the arrests of five people in connection with a robbery and assault on Dec. 9 that may have been fueled by homophobia.
According to the release, Metro Transit Police have arrested one adult and four juveniles for assaulting and robbing a 25-year old man on a Blue line train earlier this month. What the statement doesn’t mention is that this is the same incident that a Fox 5 report that night indicated the unidentified victim, a gay man who said his attackers yelled “faggot” over and over again, felt at the time that Metro didn’t respond to fast enough or with an appropriate amount of sensitivity. Metro later released a statement disputing parts of the victim’s version of events.
Tarus Stroddard, 18 of Oxon Hill, MD, has now been charged with robbery, force and violence. The four juveniles were also charged with robbery, force and violence. Metro says that all the attackers involved have now been charged.
“If someone commits a crime in our system, especially a violent crime such as this, our detectives will do everything possible to track down the assailants and bring them to justice,” said Acting Transit Police Chief Michael Daly in the emailed statement.
Photo by drewsaunders