Councilmember Marion Barry (D-Ward 8) is set to join a coalition of Asian American groups for a press conference tomorrow at a church in Anacostia, where the mayor-for-life is expected to address derogatory comments about Asian American businesses and Filipino nurses he made in April.

The press conference is being organized by the Say Sorry Barry campaign, which was the brainchild of 28 local and national Asian American advocacy organizations. It will also be attended by David Chung, a commissioner in the D.C. Office of Asian and Pacific Islander Affairs.

But how come it took Barry close to a month to come to the point that he would seemingly apologize for his comments? It could have something to do with his hospitalization earlier this week in Las Vegas for a blood clot, during which he seemed to do some soul-searching (over Twitter, no less).

“I also thank outstanding medical staff, incl. kind professional Filipino staff. I stand corrected; I truly didn’t mean 2 hurt or offend,” he tweeted on Monday. “Being sick brings religion. As much as I need to fight for the needs of my community, I certainly don’t want to hurt anyone in the process.”

According to one of the activists that led the campaign, it’s expected that Barry will apologize. “In a private meeting last week, and consistent with his tweets over the weekend, he apologized to a local group of Asian American activists for what he said. Tomorrow, we anticipate that he’ll make his apology publicly,” they said in an email.

The press conference will take place at the Matthews Memorial Baptist Church (2616 Martin Luther King Jr. Ave, SE) from 12 to 12:30 p.m.