Even Shadow Senator Paul Strauss had a car in the parade. And a classic one, to boot.

A pair of express toll lanes on Interstate 495 in Northern Virginia opened last week to great fanfare, but no sooner did the new high-occupancy thruways debut than they became the Capital Beltway’s newest bumper-car rink. Since the lanes opened Saturday, there have been at least six collisions at the entrance.

The accidents have been sparked by drivers seeing signs informing them that E-ZPass devices are required to pay the tolls and attempting to swerve out of the lanes if they do not possess the windshield-mounted boxes. But with six collisions in the lanes’ first 72 hours of service, the Virginia Department of Transportation is already rethinking the signage. Lane markings are being extended to more than a mile ahead of the divide.

In the mean time, though, officials are taking pains to inform drivers that if they find themselves stuck in the E-ZPass lanes without a transponder, they can log on to a website that tracks vehicles that travel the 14-mile stretch and pay the toll without incurring a penalty.

But at least one official The Washington Post spoke to says that while it’s odd to have so many accidents in the same spot, the number of accidents isn’t that shocking:

“Considering the change in the traffic pattern, it’s nothing that I’d say is too out of the ordinary,” said Corinne Geller, spokeswoman for the Virginia State Police. “The unique part about it is that they’re all in the same place.”

Of the six crashes that occurred between Saturday and Monday, only one resulted in injuries. The first collision, which occurred about 7 a.m. Saturday when a driver swerved to avoid the toll entrance but crashed into the Jersey wall, resulted in her and a passenger suffering non-life-threatening injuries. No casualties have been reported in the other incidents.

In the mean time, just another fun addition to driving in Virginia.