Via Shutterstock

Via Shutterstock

The candidates seeking to be the next mayor of the District of Columbia filed their first major fundraising reports yesterday, with Councilmember Muriel Bowser (D-Ward 4) getting off to an early lead. Bowser, who launched her campaign March 23, reported raising $465,272 through yesterday’s filing deadline, according to documents filed with the D.C. Office of Campaign Finance.

Tailing Bowser were her D.C. Council colleagues Jack Evans (D-Ward 2), who reported raking in $377,028, and Tommy Wells (D-Ward 6), who hauled in $286,108. Evans entered the race on June 8, while Wells announced his bid on May 18. Wells’ finance report, however, also includes funds he raised during an exploratory period that began in February.

Bowser reported $40,317 in expenditures, including campaign staffers, supplies, and catering, during the period ending Wednesday, leaving her with $424,955 in cash on hand. Evans spent $72,587, giving him a $304,441 war chest. And Wells shelled out $73,753, leaving him with $141,989 in reserves.

The July 31 campaign finance report is an important test of a candidate’s viability, especially in a race that could shape up to be one of the tightest contests in recent memory. The Democratic primary, which in the District effectively serves as the general election, is scheduled for April 1. And with eight months to go, Wednesday’s reports offer glimpses into each campaign’s strategy.

Bowser and Evans are accepting donations from individual donors and corporations alike. Wells, however, is only taking personal contributions. He said before entering the race that the decision might put him at a financial disadvantage. But in a press release yesterday, the Wells campaign reported that its haul came in the form of 1,083 individual donations, for an average contribution of $268.14. District law caps individual donations to mayoral candidates at $2,000.

Both Bowser and Evans reported contributions from several major real estate developers, including members of the Jemal family, who control Douglas Development, and Herbert Miller, the chief executive of Western Development Corporation. Bowser also received $2,000 from Level 2 Development.

Mayor Vince Gray has evaded recent questions about whether he will seek another term. His 2010 run is still the subject of a federal investigation into a $653,000 “shadow campaign” allegedly funded by D.C. businessman Jeffrey Thompson. Gray has denied knowledge of the illicit campaign activities.

But on NewsChannel 8’s NewsTalk With Bruce DePuyt Wednesday, Gray was as forthright about the 2014 race as he as been so far, saying that he feels it is still too early in the cycle to launch a campaign. Gray launched his 2010 campaign on March 30 of that year, five-and-a-half months ahead of the Sept. 14 primary in which he knocked off then-Mayor Adrian Fenty.

Two lesser-known candidates, former State Department official Reta Jo Lewis and perennial candidate Nestor Djonkam, also filed reports Wednesday. Lewis, who has said little since announcing her campaign on July 2, reported taking in $75,283 with $62,738 left to spend. Djonkam reported a single donation, from himself, of $25.