Shlonsky was struck by a stray bullet near the Shaw Metro on August 15. (Photo by Ben Matek, courtesy of American University)
D.C. Police have made a third arrest in the August shooting of a former American University student near the Shaw-Howard Metro station.
Authorities arrested Marcus King in August and Andre Dudley in December, both 19-year-olds, in connection with the drive-by that killed Matt Shlonsky. The recent AU graduate was getting out of a cab to attend a friend’s birthday party on August 15 when he was caught in a shootout between two groups of people. Police have said they believe the bullet, which struck him in the neck, was meant for someone else.
Police said today that they’ve also charged 26-year-old Christopher Proctor with second degree murder while armed in Shlonsky’s death.
“It was through a variety of different detective work that our members were able to identify, locate, and make the third arrest,” said Chief of Police Cathy Lanier in a statement. “We hope it brings closure and a peace of mind to all who were invested in this case as we continue a successful investigation.” MPD has also released a video of several people and vehicles of interest in connection with the shooting.
According The Washington Post, there are several theories behind what happened, including:
“an argument over a dice game, a gang feud in Shaw stemming from many years ago or a dispute over a woman involved with King. Police said King had been shot and wounded in a series of shootings between rival street crews in the weeks leading to the gun battle at the Metro station.”
Rachel Sadon