Photo by Adam Gerard
Last night, Metropolitan Police Department officers arrested a 26-year-old man in connection to the quadruple shooting that took place at North Capitol Street and New York Avenue NW last week. D.C. Police Chief Cathy Lanier announced today that Kevin Antonio Cole is being charged with assault with intent to kill.
After firing on foot at four victims around 2 p.m. on June 8, a masked suspect hopped into a car and fled, according to police. Cole was the driver of the vehicle and police are still searching for the shooter, who they have not yet identified, Lanier said. Police were able to identify Cole after receiving tips and reviewing video footage from private cameras that were close to the scene, she continued.
“This first arrest is a good step in the right direction, but it doesn’t end this investigation, we still have more work to do,” Lanier said, adding that at least one victim, who was the intended target of the shooting, is still in the hospital in “pretty serious condition.” A police officer was also injured on his way to the scene after being struck by a car, which resulted in non-life threatening injuries.
Cole will appear in court today, Lanier said.