The Bloomingdale Civic Association is holding a vigil this evening for a 27-year-old man who was fatally shot earlier this week. The death of Seth Conrad Rich, who was employed at the Democratic National Committee, has raised national attention, as well as concern among residents in the Northwest neighborhood where he lived and was killed on July 10.

Rich’s father told the Washington Post that he believes his son was killed after resisting a robbery. However, the victim’s watch, wallet, and credit cards were still at the scene when police found him wounded in the 2100 block of Flagler Place NW around 4:20 a.m. He died of his injuries at a nearby hospital.

“There had been a struggle. His hands were bruised, his knees are bruised, his face is bruised, and yet he had two shots to his back, and yet they never took anything,” Rich’s mother, Mary Rich, told NBC 4.

In response to the shooting, the DNC tweeted on Monday that Rich came into work every day “to fight for all Americans’ right to vote.”

He is described as a “dedicated, selfless public servant,” in a statement from DNC Chair Debbie Wasserman Schultz. “He was a joy to have as a member of our team, and his talents, intelligence and enthusiasm will be deeply missed by the many friends, colleagues and coworkers who worked by his side in service to the highest ideals of our democracy,” Schultz continued.

Donna Brazille, Vice Chair of Voter Registration and Participation at the DNC, tweeted on Monday that Rich was “a young man on a mission … Remember his name “and add him to the rolls of justice,” she continued.

And yesterday, after mentioning Rich’s death in a speech at a joint rally with Bernie Sanders, former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said, “Surely we can agree that weapons of war have no place on the streets of America.”

Rich was killed close to a construction site that’s part of a plan to alleviate flooding in the Bloomingdale neighborhood. Some residents believe that the dimly lit work areas, which have blocked many streets, have contributed to an uptick in armed robberies, according to The Post. In response, city officials have improved lighting and visibility in the neighborhood.

Workers fix a light at the construction site near the crime scene yesterday afternoon. (Photo by Alex Zielinski)

According to a statement from DC Water, those changes include removing noise blankets, fixing street lights, and additional patrols. Ward 5 Councilmember Kenyan McDuffie was also out near the scene of the crime last night around 10 p.m., talking to neighbors.

The Metropolitan Police Department is offering a reward of up to $25,000 to anyone who gives information leading to the arrest and conviction of the persons responsible for Rich’s murder (or any other homicide committed in the District).

Tonight’s vigil is slated for 7 p.m. on the 2100 block of First Street NW.