A Maryland man is suing the D.C. government for allegedly keeping him imprisoned at the D.C. Jail for 11 days after his legal release date. The U.S. Attorney for D.C., Jesse Liu, is also named in the suit.
On May 10 of last year, Michael Olesumi Adeboye of District Heights was sentenced in D.C. Superior Court to a year behind bars, per the lawsuit and court documents. Adeboye had been arrested on several charges of possession of a controlled substance with intent to distribute and possession of an illegal firearm, his court documents show.
D.C. Superior Court Judge Maribeth Raffinan sentenced Adeboye to a year in prison—time that he had already served. The court docket for Adeboye’s case shows an order for his supervised release on the same date Raffinan handed down his sentence, May 10.
But Adeboye continued to be held at the jail for 11 more days, until May 21, per the lawsuit. And he was only released on that date after his attorney sent an email to Maria Amato, the general counsel for the D.C. Department of Corrections, the suit alleges. Throughout those 11 days, “Mr. Adeboye repeatedly informed D.C. Jail personnel that that he was being detained past his sentence completion date but no action was taken in response to his complaints,” the complaint says.
Adeboye’s overstay in the jail appeared to be the result of an administrative error by the federal Bureau of Prisons. The lawsuit says that on May 11, 2018, the BOP calculated that Adeboye’s release date would be on May 23, 2018.
On May 21, the District asked BOP to recalculate Adeboye’s release date, and the BOP came up with a new date of April 23, 2018; the District then released Adeboye that same day, the lawsuit says.
“The mistake made by BOP on May 11, 2018 was obvious and apparent and should have been spotted by D.C. Department of Corrections personnel had they been exercising reasonable care,” the lawsuit reads.
The suit also alleges that D.C. gave the BOP incorrect information regarding Adeboye’s time served, causing them to make the error in the first place. It also accuses D.C. of failing to adequately investigate Adeboye’s repeated claims that he was being held past his release date.
The suit is asking for $60,000 each from the U.S. government and the District of Columbia. Adeboye’s lawyer did not respond to a request for comment.
The D.C. Attorney General’s Office declined to comment on the suit because the litigation is ongoing.
Natalie Delgadillo