Maryland officials plan on opening six mass-vaccination sites as part of an effort to ramp up the state’s infrastructure in anticipation of receiving additional doses from the federal government.
Speaking on Tuesday, Gov. Larry Hogan announced that the state’s health department and National Guard will be opening and operating the six sites. Two sites — at Six Flags America in Prince George’s County and at the Baltimore Convention Center — will open by Feb. 5, with other sites at M&T Bank Stadium and in western and southern Maryland to follow.
“We’re dealing with what we can actually control here at the state level by building the broadest possible vaccination network to further expand deployment for the maximum utilization of the limited doses as we receive them,” said Hogan.
According to state officials, 396,661 doses of COVID-19 vaccines have been administered across the state so far, including 75.9% of first doses and 59.4% of first and second doses.
Still, like in many other places in the region and country, demand is far outpacing supply. At least two million people in the state are now eligible to receive the vaccine, three times the number of doses that have been available. The breakdown of those who have gotten the vaccine has also skewed along racial lines. The majority of doses, more than 245,000, have gone to white residents, while just a quarter of that number have gone to Black residents.
While Hogan said he’s hoping the federal government will be able to ramp up supply of vaccines, he’s more worried about administering the vaccines quickly and efficiently.
Giant, Walmart and Martin’s have now started inoculating people in Maryland. Hogan said that by next week at least 51 retail pharmacies will also be offering the vaccine, including Safeway and RiteAid. The state has also started a mobile vaccination unit to get to “hard to reach” areas of the state. Anyone seeking a vaccination at either a county-run site or pharmacy must make an appointment.
“Due to the extremely limited supply of vaccines, these appointments will fill up very quickly and you should expect to be put on a waiting list,” Hogan said.
As of Monday, anyone 65 years or older is eligible to receive the vaccine. Dr. David Marcozzi, incident commander with the University of Maryland Medical System, says those who are immunocompromised are also eligible. That includes people with a wide variety of medical conditions like cancer, end-stage renal disease, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, solid organ transplant recipient, sickle cell, and diabetes.
Dominique Maria Bonessi