Delays at Metro Center station during rush hour.

Tyrone Turner / DCist/WAMU

As Metro scrambles to address the findings of a safety investigation that put about 60% of its fleet of rail cars out of commission, the transit agency is warning riders to expect headways of 30-40 minutes on all lines except for the Red Line, where customers should plan to wait 15-20 minutes.

Metro said it was working to keep to its original reduced service plan for the week, which featured slightly shorter gaps between trains, but said in a release Tuesday that “there is currently no capacity to fill unforeseen gaps, which will result in longer wait times.”

All trains will have only six cars, and Silver Line trains are only operating between Wiehle-Reston East and Federal Center SW stations.

The agency also warned that its trip planner tools may be inaccurate as a result of the service changes, saying riders should check its live train map for the most up-to-date information. Signs on station platforms showing next train times are also accurate, according to WMATA.

“As we continue to address the needs of our customers impacted by current service delays, Metro [appreciates] the public’s understanding of the need to put safety first,” the statement said.

The major disruption in train service comes after a National Transportation Safety Board-led investigation into a train derailment on the Blue Line last week.

Federal investigators found that the incident was caused by a common problem with the wheels on Metro’s 7,000-series railcars, the newest in the fleet, and that Metro has known about the issues for four years. The Washington Metrorail Safety Commission ordered the transit agency to remove the railcars from service, pending further inspection, late on Sunday. Riders saw immediate and lengthy delays on Monday morning.

“We are fortunate that no fatalities or serious injuries occurred as a result of any of these derailments,” said National Transportation Safety Board Chair Jennifer Homendy. “But the potential for fatalities and serious injuries was significant. This could have resulted in a catastrophic event.”

It is unclear how long the service disruptions will last, and if trains will return to service gradually or all at once.

More:
Metro 7000-Series Safety Problems Could Have Led To ‘Catastrophic Event,’ Service Limited This Week
Safety Commission Orders WMATA To Pull 60% Of Its Train Fleet, Severely Reducing Service
National Transportation Safety Board Investigating Blue Line Train Derailment