A jury has found a former officer with the Metropolitan Police Department guilty of federal civil rights violations for placing two people in prohibited chokeholds in 2018.
The former officer, Mark Lamont Clark, 57, had injured a victim, identified as “D.T,” by placing him in a prohibited chokehold outside a McDonald’s on July 13, 2018. Clark had gotten into a confrontation with a friend of D.T. Just days later on July 18, Clark again injured a McDonald’s patron, identified as “K.C.,” with a prohibited chokehold and a prohibited carotid artery hold. Clark had “escalated a verbal confrontation” with K.C., according to a Tuesday press release from the U.S. Attorney’s Office. In both cases, Clark was in uniform.
U.S. Attorney Matthew Graves and MPD Chief Robert J. Contee III announced the jury’s verdict Tuesday. Clark has been convicted of two counts of deprivation of civil rights under color of law.
“This defendant’s own body-worn camera footage helped prove he abused the authority entrusted to him,” Graves said in a statement. “We will pursue any case where an officer breaches that trust and injures a member of the community that they are sworn to protect. It’s critical that we not tolerate such offenses, especially when the vast majority of officers honor their obligations and the Constitutional rights of every citizen.”
MPD’s internal affairs division investigated the incident.
“Since the beginning of this process, MPD has supported the independent and thorough review process conducted by the United States Attorney’s Office,” the department said in a statement. “MPD prohibits officers from using ‘chokeholds’ and ‘carotid restraints.'”
The conviction of Clark is the latest of several civil rights indictments and convictions against local police officers in recent months. In April, special police officer Brandon T. Greenfield-Logan pled guilty to civil rights violation and was sentenced to a year of probation and 50 hours of community service. In March, MPD Sergeant Enis Jevric was charged with a federal civil rights violation and second-degree murder.
In December, Terence Sutton and Andrew Zabavsky – two former MPD officers – were convicted in the death of 20-year old Karon Hylton-Brown. Sutton was found guilty of second-degree murder. The case was the first time in memory a D.C. police officer had been convicted of — or even charged with — an on-duty murder.
Last Tuesday, Congress blocked a D.C. police reform bill that included a provision making the chokeholds Clark committed illegal. However, President Joe Biden has sworn to veto any disapproval resolution blocking the bill, and local officials have argued that that the bill is already law, given that Congress blocked the bill after a 60-day congressional review period.
Clark’s sentencing is scheduled for Aug. 30.
This story has been updated to reflect the correct charges for Sutton and Zabavsky, and with a statement from the Metropolitan Police Department.
Sarah Y. Kim